News from Quick Capital

Read the latest news about alternative business finance.

Self Assessment tax return: have you registered?

As a small business owner, you are expected to send a Self Assessment tax return. If you haven’t previously submitted one, make sure you are fully registered with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by tomorrow to avoid fines.

Self Assessment is the system that HMRC use to collect tax from self-employed people and businesses. Therefore, it’s important to register for Self Assessment with HMRC as soon as you can after starting your business.

You need to register by 5th October in your business’s second tax year, or you could risk fines for late submission. Even if you have completed tax returns before, you still need to register by tomorrow. The easiest way to register is  to fill in this form.  

If you have sent a Tax Return before, you can register online using your ten-digit Unique Taxpayers Reference (UTR) which you will have received from your previous registration. When you are doing this, you should use the same account as last year.

If you are a new business owner and haven’t sent one before you will need to register online. Once you have completed your registration you will reive a letter with your UTR, you can use this reference to enrol for Self Assessment.

You also have the option to send your registration form by post, but you still need to access the internet to download your form.

If you would like more information on how your business can register for Self Assessment, visit 


Back to all news